Monday, September 19, 2011

{where i create}

This is where I create...

...this room used to be a pretty shade of blue, but I wanted more light, more reflection, more white. This new room is much more {ME}.


I keep almost all of my trinkets and fabric close at hand. I am a collector of containers and {LOVE} them in any shape, size or medium, especially metal. If it can hold something, I will find a use for it. My newest favorite container - that sweet old galvanized {MAILBOX}. I Love it!

I know there are a lot of photographs. It is so difficult to get all the angles of a room, and I tried to take advantage of the wonderful afternoon light. Enjoy!
 The first piece of furniture I had for this room, years ago, was the island. I loved that it was white with a butcher block top. When we decided to add the rest of the built ins, my sweet husband offered to use planks of wood for the counter tops, so that it would mimic the butcher block of the island.

Everything goes with butcher block and white...especially baskets...so many great finds on old ones at the local thrift stores.
 Here is a photograph of my new wreathe. I fell in love with the one here and had to make one. Emily Jones Design and Aunt Peaches have the best tutorials, complete with lots of great images. Of course, mine has ten tons of berries and pears and other goodies added to it...oh yea, and about 125 coffee filter flowers...

...I have a few of the vintage metal card holders. I use them for displaying my favorite vintage {NUMBER} playing cards.


The best part of this room is the two {BIG} windows. I can never have enough natural light. It really makes a difference for me when working with the dye lots colors.
 My magnetic board is always loaded with the most recent dye lot...and anything that catches my eye. This week it was the {FRAGILE - HANDLE WITH CARE} impromptu sign that I cut off of a box.
 Several years ago, when I knew I was going to have my very own {creative space} I started hunting for the perfect storage bins. I found them on clearance at a company called {HOLD EVERYTHING}. They have been my tried and true staple pieces. The are most importantly {WHITE} and they are metal. I love them. They have been durable and neutral. I have a several different pieces in the collection and love them all.
 Good 'ole {IKEA} has great hanging storage. I like that it was also neutral and metal...and the best part is that all the pieces are interchangeable. If you are looking for something similar, I found them in the kitchen department of {IKEA}.


 Two more of my favorite things on display and ready to use at all times...{FABRIC} AND {NUMBERS}.
 I found this cool file organizer at my church thrift store. It was black. A little white spray paint, a turn on her side, and she makes a sweet fabric organizer. {LOVE}...and numbers are everywhere...can never have enough numbers.


So when my hubbie was finished creating the countertops, he asked me to take some time and figure out where I wanted my lamps, sewing machine, etc. This was so he could drill holes where the cords would go {he knows I hate cords showing}...the best part of all was the local {GLASS MAN} was able to drill the same hole in the glass I had made to cover the wood.
 The white frame is backed with rabbit wire. I love these and have several. I use them for portable design boards...plus they are {PRETTY}...



...and more white storage under the window for paper of all kinds...
 I haven't changed out the hanging lamp yet, but am planning on replacing it in the future. I had a sweet chandelier all picked out for that spot, but it never made it past Sophia's bedroom...now it adorns her ceiling. {NOT} sure how that happened...so I am on the hunt again. I need a pretty tiny one, for the space to look right, so for now I just made a sweet muslin {CORD COVER} for the {IKEA} lamp that resides here now.
 The old metal baskets are so sweet. They are almost like a miniature locker basket. Not sure what they were used for. I put a yard of two of my favorite and most used trims in oversized test tubes and placed them near my sewing area. This way they are always on hand when I need them...and flowers. They are lots of {FLOWERS} in this room. None of them are the same, because I love them all...also some of my favorite dyed wool yarn, in shades of white and pale pinks.
 A {PEONY'S FAVORITE FINISH CUSTOM BASKET} is home to part of my glass jar collection. The larger ones rest on top of the wall cabinet.
 I just love the way a chunk of hand dyed material looks...
 There is something very cheerful about looking at this...
 ...and this. That is why I keep them around at all times.
 The glass counter tops allow for the widest range of freedom when creating. I can use all types of mediums without a mat...dyes and hot glue, which are usually tough to get off of any surface, just wipe right off with a spot of windex or goo gone.
 Look at my sweet smelling lavender scented sachets. The tags are removable and say {INSPIRE} and {LIVE}. These were a lovely gift from Becky at Junk to Joy
...another old office supply basket that got a new coat of shabby white paint. The key was a most treasured gift from Michelle at Petite Michelle Louise. She knows my love of hearts, and in honor my Angel son created this precious key with a heart shaped stone on it...{i love it}
 Everyone has a {behind the door} spot. This is mine. It houses my threads, aprons, dye swatches, needle felting supplies, stickles and glue gun...all of these things hang on one of those awesome heavy duty metal clip style organizers from {HOLD EVERYTHING}.
 My coveted piece of all time. {THE WOOL CABINET}. This is a piece that I collected from the side of the road in my little town. A local mechanic was getting rid of it and it was mine if I hauled it away. It was orange in color it was so rusty and all the parts drawers were missing. It was over {7 feet tall} and almost {4 feet wide} and I had a vision of what is could be. I called {MR.723} and begged him to collect it...little did I know it weighed over a thousand pounds...{6} metal grill brushes and {17} hours later it was just the way I wanted it...{and of course also screwed to the wall}...

...and a shot of the baskets on the bottom shelf of the island...the two tiered metal stand was a not-so-pretty shade of gold when I found her. Some more white paint and she holds all my favorite vintage hankies and  hand made ruffled silk flowers ready to be put together...

 ...another wonderful container from {HOLD EVERYTHING}...it houses all of my vintage papers and images and paper findings...
 ..more shots of the this {YUMMY} wreathe...
 ...at first I was hesitant to cover up this sweet chalkboard...but then when I did it looked so great layered that I had to leave it...

...below is a sweet white candle sconce adorning the door to the room. This little sconce was not always so {SWEET}. It was the ugliest fake gold plastic 1970's sconce you ever did see...just goes to show you what some good white spray paint will do for an ugly little object!
 This little storage cubby came straight from the hardware isle at my local Wal-Mart. It is plastic. It was silver. You guessed it -  {MORE WHITE SPRAY PAINT}. I am so glad that they make it just for plastic now. It is so awesome! I have everything from vintage buttons to paper clips in this thing and it cost me about {{$6.00}.
 ...the stool are from {IKEA}. They are not my first choice, but fit the budget and went with the butcher block. Now that I am learning to use my new {SEWING MACHINE} I might try making some sweet ruffled slipcovers...if you have an easy tutorial I would love to hear about it!
 ...I bought all the cabinets and cupboards in boxes at {HOME DEPOT}. Mr. 723 spent lots of hours with those 468 page long direction booklets putting all of these together for me. They are not frilly or even very {PRETTY} but they are white and clean lined and were super cheap. Perfect! Even the island and the beautiful glass doored cabinet came in boxes. They were purchased at {K-MART} a few years ago. Can't beat a beautiful room on a budget!

Linking up to my favorite parties {HERE}...and here -

http://romantichome.blogspot.com/












31 comments:

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

What a completely delightful space! I clicked to enlarge the pics and loved all the special details. Thanks for sharing this wonderful haven!

Unknown said...

This amazing craft/sewing/creating room leaves all the others in the dust...including mine! I love it...
Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

Andrea said...

This is a gorgeous, inspiring craft room! I just moved and have a huge, wonderful craft room. It's fairly basic, however, and your post inspires me to beautify it!

Fishtail Cottage said...

what a glorious room! i love everything about it - although i don't think i'd ever get anything done because i'd just keep turning in circles to see how beautiful everything is! xoxo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

What a wonderfully, creative and functional space! So much inspiration as I look around the room. What an awesome place to create! And it's pretty! I am a newbie and I am linking to you. I hope that you will follow back. Blessings to you!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

You are SO lucky to have this wonderful space! You have put a lot of work into it, though, so your hard work and vision need to be recognized! Wonderful!

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

What a beautiful space! So functional and creative. Thanks for sharing this lovely inspiration.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Gail said...

I don't own the vocabulary that will properly describe how beautiful and functional I find your creative space. So take any positive adjective you think applies and multiple by 10 - then you'll know how I feel.
And.... you do messy dyeing in this tidy space?
cgtf@cox.net

Sandi Keene said...

Please make room for my cot cos I am moving into this fabulous room and living there forever OR you can come and redo my room - your choice.

The wreath is spectacular. Love it!!

wow wow wow wow

Lorraine Bell said...

This absolutely took my breath away! Okay Rae, when I gut my room, you are designing it for me! This room should be in "Where Women Create"!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness! What a wonderful space! You have so much room and everything is organized so wonderfully! Love it!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my word, this room is totally unbelievablee. I love it. Everything is so beautiful and so well organized. What a treasure of a space. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Jilly said...

This is a gorgeous, inspiring craft room, your post inspires me to make beauty in my crafty room, I am too much lazy to arranging my craft room.
r4 card

Debra@CommonGround said...

What a gorgeous space to create. I love your wonderful wreath!! xo

The Country Nest said...

What a great room, I clicked to enlarge each picture, so I did not miss a thing. I have been out in my potting shed making wreaths for my local garden club sale, but when winter comes I need a spot. May I borrow yours? If it were only that easy. I am so glad you shared this room, now I want to go back and look again.
hugs,
Donna

Blondie's Journal said...

This is an amazing room! I saw a picture of it on Table Top Tuesday and realized I almost didn't visit and I'd be missing a great blog. I'm off to peek around now!! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the projects that come out of this space. The wreath is gorgeous!

XO,
Janie

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

I can NOT get enough of this room! It is to die for! We have three loves in common: Metal (containers), numbers, and glass jars. What a fun space to work in. I have been picking up vintage items for my future craft room. I am going to save this as a favorite. Would love to refer to it when we start working on mine. Thanks for sharing. Now following you.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Rae...

I'm just coming over from Marty's TTT party where she showcased your incredible art studio! Ohhh my goodness...if I had a space like this to work in...it would be "HEAVEN"!!! It's sooo beautiful and accomidating all at the same time! What an inspiration!!! Thank you sooo much for sharing your fabulous studio with us...this was such a treat!!!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

It all looks delicious! What a great space.

helen tilston said...

You are now very organized and let the creativity begin

Wishing you many hours of joy

Helenxx

Terri said...

What a beautiful crafting space! It looks so large. Do you know the dimensions of the room? I've been thinking of doing something similar but didn't think I had a room large enough.

Bellaidea said...

Very pretty sapce you have! Always working alone :)?

Bellaidea said...

hallo! anybody in? :)

www.raemissigman.com said...

Hello Bellaidea! I am sorry I am just returning you note! I didn't realize (being the new blogger that I am) that I could answer your note here! I LOVE your beautiful work that you post on your blog and I adore you sweet words here. Thank you for that! I would love for you to come create here with me!
Have a wonderful day!
Rae

Bellaidea said...

Well, I had no idea you will answer me at your blog ;0.
Every time I see your new post I also can see this photo on the right and just need to click :)
I would love to visit you and I`m sure we would have fun and would create and chat for hr!

Special 'K' said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing clever ideas. I will follow on my way out so I can revisit. I hope you can find the time to come visit me and do the same. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Cheers SpecialK XoXo

Gayle Page-Robak said...

I absolutely love your art studio area...everything looks so bautifully thought out, light and inspiring. You are a lucky lady! I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com Happy New Year. Hugs, Gayle

Laura's Crafty Life said...

I love your craft space. It is beautiful and inspiring! I am featuring your space at http://www.craftstorageideas.com next Monday! Thank you for sharing. :)

Carol McCready said...

What a wonderful place to create.
Love all the details.

Dana Weaver Moore said...

Absolutely beautiful !

My Casa Bella said...

Beautiful!!! My room is a shade of purple, lilac family but seeing your shade of white makes me want to change it out. Your room looks so big, how nice. Loved your pictures!
MCB

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...